F to 47-49 St./ Rockefeller Center
The James Earl Jones Theatre was built by and originally named for John Cort, general manager of the Northwestern Theatrical Association, a theatre circuit centered in Seattle with playhouses scattered throughout the western US and British Columbia. A fugitive from a vaudeville comedy team called Cort and Murphy, Cort moved from performing to management in the 1890s. The Shuberts acquired the theatre in 1927, two years before Cort’s death. The theatre was rechristened the James Earl Jones in 2022 in honor of the celebrated actor who made his Broadway debut at the playhouse in Sunrise at Campobello in 1958
The Jones is the only surviving, still active, legitimate theatre on Broadway designed by architect Thomas Lamb. Its classic exterior was inspired by the 18th century French Petit Trianon at Versailles. Architecture from the period of Louis XVI also inspired the interior. The lobby was constructed of Pavanozza marble with panels of Marie Antoinette plasterwork. The proscenium arch is composed of perforated plaster treated with art glass that could be lit during performances.
Watch a video about the theatre at Spotlightonbroadway.com