1, 2, 3, 7, S, A, C, E, N, R, Q, W to 42nd St / Times Square
Take M7, M20, or M104 bus.
Built in 1927 along with the Majestic, the Golden, and the Hotel Lincoln (now the Milford Plaza Hotel), the cluster completed the blocks on 44th and 45th Streets between Broadway and 7th Avenue, creating the densest concentration of legitimate theaters in New York City. In 2005, the Royale was renamed the Bernard B. Jacobs after the longtime president of the Shubert Organization. The lavish interior was designed by Roman Melzer, an architect for Czar Nicholas II in Russia who came to America and worked for the Chanins. Melzer hired Hungarian artist Willy Pogany to create a series of murals entitled "Spanish Lovers" for the interior of the theater. Once completed, the Chanins gave artistic control to the Shuberts, who programmed it with a variety of operettas, musicals, and dramas. Diamond Lil, written by and starring Mae West, was the first major hit for the theater in 1928 with 176 performances.