What Are Your Favorite TKTS Memories?
By RAVEN SNOOK
Thursday, May 24, 2018  •
Thu May 24, 2018  •

Growing up in New York City, I went to see Broadway shows frequently with my family. And while full-price tickets were certainly much more affordable last century, we still took advantage of the Times Square TKTS Booth. Standing in line with our fellow theatre-loving bargain hunters was always an incredible bonding experience, and I have many wonderful memories of singing show tunes with other fans as my dad and I waited to get tickets to West Side Story (the 1980 revival), Lena Horne's autobiographical show (I was 10 and positive she was singing directly to me), and Sophisticated Ladies (that white fur coat!!).

This year, we're celebrating TDF's half-century anniversary while our iconic Times Square TKTS Booth turns 45. So we're asking everyone we know to share their favorite TKTS memories. Do you remember the first show you bought at the Booth? Have you ever made any friends while in line? Did your life totally change when we debuted our red steps or opened our indoor Lincoln Center location? Have you ever seen celebrities hawking their shows at the Booth (oh, sometimes they do!), or maybe they dropped by to get inexpensive tickets, just like you. We want to hear all your stories. Just leave a comment on this post or email stages@tdf.org. For inspiration, check out the cast of Kinky Boots sharing their TKTS tales in the video below. Hey, even Broadway babies need cheap seats.

Milton Justice said:
I was just yesterday talking to a fellow professor about what made a difference in our theatrical life. We both agreed, had it not been for the TKTS Booth, neither of us would have the first hand knowledge of the theatre we do. The fact I could say to a friend, "Let's meet at the Booth and see what's on," is definitely part of the magic of New York.
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 8:43 AM
Ayun Halliday said:
Right after I moved to New York, I went to the booth to buy tickets to Arcadia at Lincoln Center. Waited in a very long line. When I got to the window, I learned I was short. I had exactly enough cash for 2 half-priced tix. Didn't realize there would be a service fee. Without any discussion, the man behind me handed me a bill - probably a then-unthinkable 10 - and told me to enjoy the show.
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 8:51 AM
Zoë Morsette said:
In the late 70's I was living in the East Village and just eeking out a living waitressing, painting apartments and working for no pay off off Broadway. An older friend, who was a professional usher and TDF member bought a group of tickets to see Whoopi Goldberg in her one woman show. I have been a fan ever since!
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 9:10 AM
Michael Z said:
On a nasty slushy Saturday in January of 1988, my friend Chuck and I got tickets to the matinee of ANYTHING GOES starring Patti LuPone, and as soon as the show ended, we ran back to TKTS and got great seats to the evening show of INTO THE WOODS, starring Bernadette Peters, Joanna Gleason, and the entire original cast. Musical Theater Heaven! My favorite “I Love New York/ I Love Broadway” memory!
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 9:25 AM
Joe said:
Years ago I was in the line on the left side and a group of people started hanging around and eventually cut in the line right behind me. I told them they had to leave and they finally did, only to go to the line on the right side and pull the same trick there. When we all met up by the windows I told an attendant what they did and he threw them out of line. It didn’t make me happy to have to do
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 9:42 AM
Richard Kuczkowski & Mia Leo said:
We both saw the opening show at the Vivian Beaumont back in 1965, though we weren't together then. TDF was a godsend in grad school when we had almost no money. It continues to contribute hugely to our social life, as we are in the habit of bringing friends, introducing younger people to theatre, etc. We check the list on line every day. Thank you, TDF!
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 9:49 AM
Bob Marshall said:
One of my greatest memories & bargains was seeing Ethel Merman in GYPSY for 50 cents as part of TDF Student Program at CCNY. Way back when...........
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 11:08 AM
Alexa Rennie said:
My Mom took my little brother and I out of school on September 13th, 2001. Broadway had closed down after 9/11. We went in to see Beauty & the Beast and got our $30 orchestra seats from TKTS. The city was recovering from the chaos, but the smoke filled downtown sky was a stark reminder of the past few days. I can't say it was my favorite TKTS moment but certainly the most memorable
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 4:01 PM
Leo Vanderpot said:
Waiting for the box-office to open, under the doorway-arch of the Hotel Edison, raining, 2:30 plus The matinee was across the street. The play's name escapes me -- one of David Mamet's lesser achievements. But James Spader is the lead and I want to see him do whatever it is he does. Who can explain it? Here he comes, out of a black sedan, casual as could be, for a 3:00 curtain. Indelible!
Posted on 5/26/2018 at 7:35 PM
Raven - TDF Stages Editor said:
Thanks everyone for these incredible memories. And Leo, the show you're talking about is Race. I love your description of it.
Posted on 5/27/2018 at 9:19 AM
Richard Andrews said:
My earliest memories of TKTS are of going to the both in the World Trad Centre, which had the advantage of being able to queue in the dry and warm - and to sit on the carpet while waiting in line (hopefully at the front as I always got there an hour before opening) - as I marked off on my copy of Time Out the shows I was interested in seeing. Lincoln Center is the best bet for weather now.
Posted on 5/27/2018 at 11:50 AM