Take the 1, C or E to 50th Street and walk south to 49th Street then east to the theatre.
Four buses stop near the theatre. Take M7, M20, M50, or M104.
Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp for the Shuberts, the structure is unusual in that it is
situated diagonally on its site to fit the maximum number of seats possible. Its external
appearance, indistinguishable from many other Broadway houses, does not hint at the strange layout
within. The building has been designated a New York City landmark. The theatre's grid height is 54
feet 9 inches (16.69 m).
The theatre opened on February 11, 1921, with the musical The Rose Girl. The Shuberts sold the property in 1935, and for the next two decades it was used as a movie theater and television studio for NBC and the DuMont Television Network. In 1956, the Shuberts assumed ownership again and returned it to strictly legitimate use.
Watch a video about the Ambassadoe Theatre at Spotlightonbroadway.com