C,E to Spring St; .#1 to Houston Street - walk 3 blocks south.
M20 bus from 7th Ave heading towards Battery Park City Get off at Varick Street
Under the management of Darren Lee Cole and Faith Mulvihill, the SoHo Playhouse continues to serve the downtown theater community as an historic 199 seat Off Broadway venue. The Huron Club below is an intimate 55 seat cabaret and bar steeped in the history of Old New York.
The SoHo Playhouse stands on land that was once Richmond Hill, a colonial mansion that served as headquarters for General George Washington and later home to Aaron Burr. Purchased from Burr in 1817, the land was then developed into federalist-style row houses by fur magnate John Jacob Astor.
15 Van Dam Street, was designated at the Huron Club, a popular meeting house and night club for the Democratic Party. The turn of the century brought the Tammany Hall machine to the Huron Club. Prominent regulars included "Battery" Dan Finn and the infamous Jimmy "Beau James" Walker, known as "The night Mayor" due to his predilection for jazz clubs and chorus girls.
The main floor was transformed into a theater in the 1920's, and in the 60's operated as the Village South, home to Playwrights Unit Workshop under the direction of Edward Albee. It was on this stage that Mr. Albee produced many first works of Terrance Mcnally, John Guare, Lanford Wilson, Sam Shephard, AR Gurney and Leroi Jones.